If you’re facing domestic violence-related charges, you’re probably under a lot of stress. Regardless of the circumstances, it’s natural to feel utterly powerless—and unbearably alone—in such a scenario.It’s important to remember that you’re not actually powerless, though, nor are you alone. By hiring a strategic criminal defense attorney, you will have a legal advocate to help you navigate the proceedings and fight for the best possible outcome.
To help your lawyer get off to a running start, you can prepare for the initial consultation in the following ways:
1. Write Down Everything You Remember
What kind of altercation led to the arrest and subsequent charges? Write down everything you remember about the incident in question. Keep in mind that no detail is too small to record.
Additionally, the only way your attorney will be able to help is if you’re 100 percent honest from the start. That means if you did commit any kind of violent act—even in self-defense—your lawyer needs to know.
The questions below can serve as your guide when writing your account of events:
- Where and when did the incident occur?
- Did anyone else witness the altercation?
- Were either of you under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time?
- Who alerted police?
- How did responding officers approach the situation?
- What did police tell you before, during, and after your arrest?
2. Gather All Relevant Correspondence
If you and the alleged victim have had any recorded contact since the incident, bring it to the consultation. This includes voicemails, emails, text messages, and social media posts. From this point forward, DO NOT contact the alleged victim for any reason. Your attorney can mediate any future correspondence so you don’t say or do anything that has the potential to hurt your defense.
3. Prepare a List of Questions
Record any questions you have for the attorney before going into the meeting. Since you will be inundated with information during the consultation, you might forget to ask important questions if they’re not written down.
Questions worth asking include:
- Have you handled cases that are similar to mine?
- What do you think is the most likely outcome of my case?
- What is your fee structure?
- What can I do to strengthen my defense?
- Are my parental rights at stake?
- Do you anticipate any major hurdles or complications?
- How can I contact you if an issue arises?
- What are the various stages of the criminal proceedings?
- Where do we go from here?
Call 716-855-3761 to Discuss Your Case with a New York Domestic Violence Lawyer
If you’ve been charged with a domestic violence-related crime, contact LoTempio P.C. Law Group to determine the best way to proceed. After conducting a thorough investigation and reviewing the evidence against you, we will devise a strategic defense tailored to the unique facts of your case. Call 716-855-3761 or fill out our Contact Form to schedule a consultation with a domestic violence attorney in New York.